How to change an Electrical Plug in 10 steps:
It's not always convenient to call a Handyman, sometimes you may need an immediate task like fixing or changing an electrical plug done immediately.
Here is a handy guide on how to change an electrical plugs wiring in 10 easy steps:
Sometimes the wires in your plug may come loose, shutting off the electrical current. When this happens, there is a way of fixing the plug yourself without having to call in a handyman to assist.
Tools Needed: You will need a screw driver and a pliers
How to wire a plug?
Open the plug by unscrewing the screws with the screw driver.
Some plugs are a snap open type and do not require a screw driver to open them.
If the plug already is already wired – check that each copper each of the sire is securely fastened in each of the plug points pin holes under each screw.
If you are wiring the plug for the first time:
1) Expose the ends of the three wires inside the electric cord approximately 3cm by cutting the plastic covering away carefully. Do not cut the copper wiring that is under the plastic covering
2) Once the copper thread are exposed, gently wind the copper wires together to form one strong strand.
3) Fold each of the strands in half and give them a gentle squeeze
4) Each of the folded copper wires are now ready to be inserted into the plug point pin holes
IMPORTANT: The wires are to be inserted into the plug pin holes in a specific order to prevent an electrical fault.
5) The green and yellow wire must be inserted into the top pin point
6) The blue wire must be inserted into the left hand side pin point – the pin point is generally marked with the letter N (neutral) or a blue marking.
7) The brown wire is to be inserted into the right hand side pin point – the pint point is generally marked with the letter L (live) or a brown marking
8) mEach screw on each pin point is to be tightened with your screw driver. Make sure that the copper wires are not extending far out of the pin point and ensure that none of them are touching one another.
9) Finally make sure that all 3 wires are then secured inside of the plug holder clip, before finally replacing the plug cover.
10) Either a snap close cover
Or by screwing the screw in tightly with your screw driver.
NEED SOME PICTURES HUNG IN A HURRY?
Here are some Handyman Tips for HANGING A PICTURE from Ikea: